Fort Simpson Parks & Gardens
One of the finest national parks anywhere, Nahanni was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1978. This incredible unspoiled wilderness has forest, wild rivers, alpine tundra, mountain peaks and canyons. There is hiking and rafting and kayaking available. Accommodation is limited and access is only by aircraft.
Fort Simpson Territorial Park
The Fort Simpson Territorial Park is situated at the convergence of the Liard and Mackenzie rivers, next to the Papal Site and just a stroll from town. The camping area features informative displays and the beginning of a trail that leads around the perimeter of the town. The park is surrounded by the Syne--a wetland ecosystem that attracts various migratory birds.
This area, also known as 'The Flat', was important to the First Nations people as a gathering place. More recently in 1987, Roman Catholic Pope John Paul II celebrated mass here during his visit to Canada. A drum circle and tepee mark the location.
Comprising an area of 35,000 square feet, Heritage Park protects the land that is thought to be the site of original Fort of the Forks, the original trading post in 1803. The bluff is enclosed by the Liard and Mackenzie rivers. Two of Fort Simpson's most historical buildings are located here: George McPherson's log house (1935), which will be used for cultural activities, and the Sacred Heart Rectory (1911), which will be used as a museum, art studio and tea house.
Sambaa Deh Falls Territorial Park
On the renowned Waterfalls Route, 150 km east of Fort Simpson, Sambaa Deh Territorial Park features two impressive waterfalls: Sambaa Deh Falls and Coral Falls. The river (Sambaa Deh/Trout River) was once a trade route for fur trappers. Fishing is excellent downstream, with Arctic greyling, northern pike, pickerel and lake trout. A well-serviced campground is located on site.